30 November 2009

Diagnosis

Big hang over and a major sore throat. I totally underestimated how I would feel after the biopsy today. Able to get the work done endoscopicly (tube down throat) rather than an open biopsy but was done with a general anesthetic. Thought I would be bouncing around by this evening but still in a fog and still have a pounding head. I was pretty much starving by the time I was released at 3:30 today but just a little queasy - like low blood sugar. Stopped to get meds at CVS on the way home and Kim grabbed a little something for me to eat. Drove about 6 blocks to drop Tess off at bowling practice. I yakked in the parking lot. Problem solved. I've felt great since and pretty much ate what I wanted at dinner. Diagnosis is official - squamous cell carcinoma. OK - so what is a squamous cell? Basically any cell that is a lining. Skin, mouth, tongue, esophagus, and all the way through you and out the other end. The specific location of the cancer is in my lingual tonsils (not the kind you get removed when you're a kid). Essentially a throat cancer. Early read on this is that it responds well to radiation and chemo. Two consults on Wednesday - one for radiation, one for chemo. Moving along quickly and I'm quite happy with that. Thanks for all the prayers and support. Hoping to feel a lot better tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Steve, I'm so glad your journaling. It's a great way to keep others informed and to look back on the faithfulness of God in your life one day.
    I have a book I'm going to drop off called "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges. I found it helpful when I was going through my ordeal.
    Praying with you that God would accomplish His purposes and be glorified somehow through all of this.
    JoAnne B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but your trust in God is inspiring. You are in my family's daily prayers. God has always helped us with very difficult health challenges. Mike Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am sure it has to be a scary time for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy remission. Don't ever lose your hope - there are many cancer survivors out there today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I had no idea you were going thru this. Thanks for the blog to update us. I wish only the best for you and pray for a quick recovery/remission. Please know that you can reach out and I will listen or talk to you and Kim whenever you need an ear or a shoulder. Keep the faith. :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I'm so sorry and shocked to hear about your diagnosis. I give chemotherapy full time at Howard in Kokomo, where we also give radiation. There are many patients with tonsilar cancer, who have good outcomes. Don't let your down time and thoughts make you crazy. God is still in the business of performing miracles. I have a son and a number of patients who are living proof of that. I will be praying for you and your family. If I can do anything to help any of you, please don't hesitate to ask. Cara (Coolbaugh) McKellar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I, too, was sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I think the blog is a great idea, as you can put your emotions to paper. You and your family are in my prayers. Libby Rayl Riesen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve: I finally figured out how to get on here. I know pretty much all this, but just want to say you are in our prayers every day and hopefully you know that the Lord is with you all the way too. It was nice talking to you the other night, you sounded great and hope to see you soon. Love Aunt Becky and Tom.

    ReplyDelete