07 December 2009

Feeling Fortunate Tonight and God's People

Well the short story from Chemo Day 1 is that I am feeling quite normal.  Drugs started flowing about noon beginning with the one most likely to cause problems.  Kind of waiting for something to happen - like I'm crossing the interstate blindfolded.  Every progressing day is quite unknown and I'm just waiting for something to hit.  I'm wearing a pump through the end of the week with the last of the drugs so I'm not sure if this one will cause me any problems or if the others have some hang time before setting me back.  Don't know how I am going to sleep because I've drank about 3 litres of water today and still going. Supposed to stay uber hydrated for the next week.  Regardless, I'm feeling thankful for today.

Two big take aways today.  First, there are a lot of really sick people out there and I'm not one of them.  Therefore I am feeling quite fortunate this evening.  I spent the day in a treatment suite that is kind of an open area with lots of stations around to administer chemotherapy.  Lots of folks in and out during the day.  Unless there is something seriously wrong with my mirror, many of these folks looked to be in much worse shape than me.  And after getting to talk to a few of them I haven't reached a point of extreme pain, lengthy treatment (2 years), serious side effects.  I am truly counting my blessings and it really makes your heart ache for these people.  Good people who have this terrible thing in their life.

Second is the real observation of the sovereignty of a real God who is putting people into my life on a daily basis to help Kim and I get through this.  From the guy who pushes me from pre-op to the operating room and back, the dentist, the pastor who is the husband of the lady across from me today, and countless other incidental (at least it seems so to me) and not so incidental encounters with survivors and friends and acquaintences.  You can't see it while it is happening but it is amazing to look back at the order God planned this for me.  Being able over the last year to re-connect with some great old friends.  The people and new friends and neighbors he has put in our lives here in Evansville who will be a great help to Kim and me.  A terrific family who has always been there.  To paraphrase - With God on your side how can you lose?

4 comments:

  1. Steve, I have just read your message on facebook - really had no idea you were going throught that. And to be very sincere right now I feel weird, with that feeling that I am sure all of us have a couple of times in our lives: We should thank more for all that we have in life... sometimes we just forget how many good people we have around, how blessed we are for being healthy and having lots of loved ones praying for ourselves all the time!!!
    It is impressive to see how positive and strong you look on your messages going throught this difficult situation. Please know that you have one more person with the heart and thoughts on you!
    Let me know if I can help you with anything here at Whirlpool too.
    God bless you and your family.
    Warmest regards

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve.....just learned of the difficult journey that you and your family are beginning. We sincerely will keep you and your family in our prayers. Since Rhonda and I live in EVV, anything that we can do to help the family or you (home or work), just let me know. Call ANYTIME!! Jack Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, it sounds like you have one treatment down and many more to go. Thanks for keeping us posted with the blog. As far as people coming into our lives...I truly believe that every single person we meet comes into our lives for a reason. You may not know why for years to come. Perhaps they came into our lives for our benefit/help or maybe we are to benefit or help them. Be strong and know that so many people are praying for you and your family. Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, truly appreciate your message. We are all here for a purpose -- to support each other in this life God has given us.

    You are a great and creative writer by the way. I'm impressed with the emotions and feelings you capture in words. God bless you. You're in my prayers. Mike Gardner

    ReplyDelete